Monday, March 26, 2018

New Bedford Half Marathon

The New Bedford Half Marathon kicked off the first road race in the USATF New England Grand Prix. CMS teammates Nakri Dao, Joe Shairs, and Dennis Floyd waited what seemed forever to gain entry into the Elm Street Garage. I have never seen such a delay getting in. Maybe it was the automated ticket generation which is supposed to “lean out” the process? Anyhow, I got my race number and shirt with no issues. I have to thank the registration crew and New Bedford race management team that allowed me to transfer two CMS numbers to other CMS runners. Our team had four runners registered weeks ago that were unable to attend. I had two entries go unused.

I warmed up with Dennis and Nakri with a little out and back. The wind was in our face moving away from the start and at our backs heading back. Noted. After a quick change into the racing flats and shedding a layer, I was on the starting line with 8 minutes to spare. I started about 10 rows back.

The race got going and I started my watch as I crossed the start line. It was crowded but thinned out to single file after two miles. I kept an awareness of who I was race around and who was ahead within striking distance. My goal at this race is to get to 3.5 miles without too much effort (no surges that will cost me later). Once at 3.5 miles, I picked up the speed a bit running with both Martin Tighe and Arthur Besse for periods through 7 miles.

Dave Dunham was in the mix and I was excited to be running with him. That was short lived as he and Arthur smartly surged to a group ahead into 8 miles. I held back. Miles 7 though the start of 12 are flat which helps but the ensuing and expected head wind was heavy into mile 10. My pace per mile reflected this as I was dipping into the 6:30’s instead of the low sixes previously. My legs were heavy but charged the hill at mile 12 with steady authority trying to shake two ladies. On the other side of the hill, I lost the battle to one but stayed clear of anyone one else charging from behind.
After 12 miles
Photo by Rodney Hemingway

Another one by Rodney Hemingway
I finished in 199th place with a net time of 1:22:12 (6:17 pace per mile) or 1:22:18 (gun time). I was 28th out of 290 in my 40-49 age group. I had six CMS teammates in front of me, it would have been more if not for injuries to a few of them. The CMS teams did great with the open getting 2nd, masters 3rd , and seniors taking the team win.

2018 New Bedford Half Marathon Results

My 5:55 mile split from 6 to 7 was my quickest of the day. I was with Dave Dunham and Arthur Besse. Mile 10 to 11 my slowest with a 6:36.

No comments:

Post a Comment