Sunday, May 10, 2020

Socially distant

Odd times still 2 months deep into the COVID-19 shelter in place isolation here in Massachusetts. Races, group workouts, Sunday long runs, social fun runs seem like a thing of the distant past. Mask up or be ridiculed by society. I have only run with a covering over the yap once. Lasted for 3 miles before snot and moisture suffocated me. That was just yesterday actually. Pulled it down to wear it like an Abe Lincoln beard for the 2nd half of the run.

Seems like we may be turning a corner however. Warmer May weather has been teasing. Yet mother nature gives us snow flurries yesterday, May 9th. Good times. I have seen big groups biking and a few pairs of runners in recent weeks. Good to see. Gives hope. Some light.

I ran all 7 days this past week. First time. Long time. A high water mark of 32 miles, the most I have run in a week since a 40 mile week last May, almost a year ago. Kind of a big deal, silently, a win, during what I would say is a fair commitment to at least 5 days of running per week and no less than 4 miles if the sneakers are tied on and a GPS device timing me on my wrist in the past 90 days.

Virtual runs....was not really getting into it. I did manage to get my ass to an outdoor track, 1st time in a long time (year and a half?) to run a mile to see where I was fitness wise. I was reminded, after sucking wind 200 meters into a 100 second quarter mile that I was OUT OF SHAPE. Each step and stride was mechanically not pretty. A lot of 9 minute paced runs in recent months. A week later I ran the similar 6:39 mile on the Swampscott High Track. Well, maybe a second quicker the second time around. The motivation for the mile on April 20th was the virtual 26 X 1 mile, er, Marathon that CMS was partaking in for fun with other clubs around New England.



I was actually grateful for the "virtual" opportunity. It gave me some incentive or motivation to run hard. Made me think real hard on where a local track is and or at least one that had a fence short enough for me to clear.

Since then, been pretty blah, but went back to run a lap or two but got wigged out by a crowd of fitness seekers, walkers, dogs, crowding the oval. Bye, bye. Back to the isolated side walk and trails of solitude.

Lynn Woods is allowing runners to do a Virtual run anytime between May 4 and May 17. Run the 2.5 mile Goat Path or the Gate to Gate 5.0 mile run, solo. Start and finish at the Steel Gate on Great Woods Road. This is where the old Wednesday evening races used to start and finish.

I ran the 2.49 mile Goat Path run last week and broke 20 minutes, was glad to get under 7 minute pace but needed a lot of downhill in the last mile plus to accomplish the sub 7's average. Put a smile on my face. Trying to hustle the trails took my mind off the knee. The knee felt decent until slowing to 9's.

I may give it another rip in the next week. Here's to the virtual. For now, that is all. We. Have.

No comments:

Post a Comment