Monday, May 31, 2021

VFW 5K

It was tough for this guy to find a Memorial Day weekend race. So many websites to scour, very few opportunities. Dave Dunham tipped me off on this one in Manchester, NH and put on by Millennium Running and sponsor Northeast Delta Dental. 100% of the intake goes straight to the vets in Contocook, NH. 




Rain held off for this Sunday morning start. Dave and I warmed up on the course. Pretty flat being most on a former railway. Safe out and back on the bike path with a river and few roads to cross. I had bib #6 based on seed time of 21 minutes. Lined up on cone #6 as one runner at a time started every 5 seconds. Runner 7 caught me a quarter mile in. I passed him after we crossed the Merrimack River a half mile in. 6:34 passed upon mile 1. 




The leaders already turned back and were coming at me. Dave trailed by a stride. I had nothing to yell other than "yup" confirming the battle Dave knew he signed up for with Mark Laprade who would hold on for the win. I soon turned around on the trail (about 10:25 on the watch) and opened the stride a bit to shake foot steps shadowing me. Mile 2 was around 6:39. The runner ahead was no where in sight so it was me and my thoughts. I ran another 6:39 and finished up 5th and 20:39. Pretty happy with it. 





Set off with a 3 mile cool down with Dave and Jim Angell (3rd). We got back to the post race awards and got a blanket for the age group win. Only fitting for a cool May weather day that required the heat to be turned up when getting home. Thank you to Krissy for the company and photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment