Sunday, October 17, 2021

USATF National Masters XC Championships - Franklin Park

Todd Callaghan and I car pooled into Franklin Park and had the Central Mass Striders tent set up nearly 2 hours before the 10:45 start time for the 40/50 year old race. It was nice to have this race being hosted in Boston as the 2020 race was cancelled due to Covid-19. I had to show my vaccination card for the first time today. The other option was to show results of a negative test. I was competing for the CMS masters 40+ team today and was the 5th man behind Scott Leslie, Erik Johnson, Dave Dunham and Dan Verrington. Dave and Dan were declared down into the 40+ team so we could score a team. The senior team, 50+ had six runners: Greg Putnam, Tim Van Orden, Scott Grandfield, Todd Callaghan, Joe Shairs and Steve Brightman. Paul Bazanchuk was the teams lone 60+ runner on the day.



After the teams checked in 25 minutes before the start time to verify we all had the same singlet with front and back bibs, I headed out for a 13 minute warmup (1.5 miles). I jumped into a quick team photo and got onto team box # 2. The senior team was in team box #13. The starting gun went off and away the race went. I settled in and ran through mile 1 just under 6:40 and not feeling too sharp slowing down through Bear Cage Hill and losing ground to Brian Bealieau (21:33) who I was hoping to run with after he was with me half a mile in. I saw mile two around 14:15. I ended up passing one runner from there on out finishing 80th out of about 100 runners. My time was 22:30. My goal was to run a low 21 minutes. So overall, was pretty flat out there after the opening mile. The 40+ team finished 6th out of 7 teams. The senior team, placed first overall! I ran a 2 mile cool down with the team and hung out with them for the awards ceremony.  


Greg Putnam, Steve Brightman, Scott Grandfield, Todd Callaghan, Joe Shairs, Tim Van Orden

No comments:

Post a Comment