Monday, January 25, 2010

Pooh Hill Snowshoe Scramble

I was looking forward to this race for a few reasons: to race on some groomed terrain and to check out an Acidotic, Chris Dunn, event that I have been hearing about. All one had to do was hang out for the awards and you'll know what I am talking about. There were plenty of prizes and raffles. Scott Mason scored a new pair of snowshoes. Kristen scored a bottle of Hammer Gel, squeeze bottle before the race and then won a Kona Brewing Company hat after the race. I saw some Red Hook six packs handed out (must be over 21 of course). Kristen was concerned about being out on the course too long during the race so she turned around after twenty minutes in the race and came back to grab the camera to get a ton of photos. I finished up in fifth right behind Kevin Tilton. I held that spot from about 50 yards into the race and trailed Kevin 10-20 seconds the whole race. He'd be the last to make an excuse but his Dion's have seen better days. He should be in a fresh pair this Saturday at Sidehiller. Results. My Garmin GPS advised that I covered 4.69 miles in 36:59 which converts to a 7:53/mile clip. The high point on the course was 558ft at 2.5 miles and the lowest part was 440ft at 1 mile. The race started at 488ft and finished at 466ft.

I was chatting with some of the Acidotic crew after the race. We noted how each of us show our strengths and weaknesses depending on the type of course. This modified Pooh Hill course (Pooh Hill was excluded this year) was my style of course where there was no long grind up an ascent, just rolling hills and some groomed track. I was a bit sloppy even on the groomed stuff in areas for this 155 lb slug. At any rate, the folks in front of me made short order with DoubleJ remaining unbeaten this winter with another win. Ben Nephew hung tough for second and Robert Jackman came up from Rhode Island to finish 3rd.

2 comments:

  1. Jim, nice race. Sounds like you had good snow conditions too(unlike Feel Good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool finish with Jimbo running Kevin down and Kevin reaching for the line with every step, just trying to hold Jim off... very close and strong finish for CMS!

    ReplyDelete