Wednesday, July 4, 2012

SRR 26.2 mile relay, Squantum 5 mile, John Carson 2 mile

A few weeks ago, I ran a mile leg for the Somerville Road Runners "Lions" team in the Marathon Relay at Tufts University. I had leg # 13 of 26. Each person runs one mile before handing off to another. I ran some warm up laps with Mike Quintal who ran for another SRR team. Elizabeth Jackson was handing the baton off to me so I got ready and stretched out while she ran her four laps around the Tufts outdoor track. I got the baton and focused on not going out too quick for the first of four laps. I glanced a :75 at 400m so that was good. 2:30 at the half way point. I pretty much duplicated that in the 2nd 800m to stop my watch at 5:00 for four laps (just shy of a mile). The team could not overcome a strong showing by the Cambridge Running Club who in the process, broke the SRR and event record by 90 seconds, while winning it overall. My SRR Lions team combined for a 2:22:52. Team Results

This past Thursday was the Squantum 5 mile road race. This race is held about a mile from my Boston Scientific office in Marina Bay. I run along most of the course during the week. The area is very quiet, limited traffic, plenty of scenic ocean views, and a Boston Skyline to remind you that your just a few miles away from town. I did not have a watch so I was running the race on feel. I did not see anyone on the starting line that I felt would take the race out too hard but you never know. Once the race started, no one took command, so I did and never looked back. I got clipped on the heels once in the first mile to an apologetic runner. Once I started the climb up Bellvue Ave, the sound of foot steps and breathing trailing me were gone. I hammered the next mile and cruised though 3.5 miles before glancing back to see a cushion. I ran hard to keep up with the pace bike on the paths of Squantum Point Park and to the finish for a time of 28:52, 1st place. This was my first win of 2012. I picked up a Marathon Sports gift certificate for the effort. I chilled out after the race for pasta, hot dogs, and salad. I chatted with John Goodwin (50+) who was a 14:20 5K stud at Boston State under the Bill Squires coached era. It was nice to run into him and encouraged him to get to the next few New England Grand Prix Road Races. Results

Lastly, I ran the John Carson 2 mile road race this morning in Chelmsford. I have some history here. I am too lazy to look up the results but know that I have a sub 10:00 there in the first year that I ran it. I was booking for a 10:18 today or ten twenty something if I was off. I brought my dad who likes to walk the two plus miles to the finish line and wait for me to finish. Then he grabs a water and walks back to the start after I finish the race. I missed my planned warm up with Mike Quintal, Dave Dunham, and Dan Verrington at 8:40am. I warmed up alone until I ran into Eric Beauchesne. On the way back to the start, I ran into friend, Dave Menard, and then into the CMS amigos (Mike, Dave, and Dan).

Closing on the finish at the John Carson 2 mile
with Jen Donovan and Dave Dunham. Photo by Gianina Lindsey.
I really did not get a good spot at the starting line, opting and accepting a 5th row vantage behind Dan Verrington. Typically, Dan would not make a good lead fullback but I dealt with it and did not feel like elbowing my way up the sweaty crowd. Dave Dunham took the smart route and owned a spot on the precious front line. So be it. Gun is off and miraculously, I got off without a trip, fall, or any eblow to the chops. It seems like everyone and their brother sprint out at this race and today was no different. Once I got 800m in, I found my rhythm and went to work passing, slowly, a few ambitious runners. I saw Jen Donovan ahead and Dave Dunham ahead of her. Mile one was 5:17 and I did not panic.  I was working it but wanted to now get under 10:30. I passed Paul Hammond and Eric Beachesne over the next 800m. Once I got to the 495 overpass, I focused on getting after Dave Dunham who was battling Jen Donovan (1st place female). As I caught up to them on the incline, they were two wide and we had 200m left. I did not want to spook Dave so I gave him a fullback push to the lower back to both encourage him to start hustling away from Jen and to alert him of my presence. I split the two judiciously and went ahead and up the rest of the incline, right hand turn to the finish. I saw the clock at 10:28 when I passed it. I got a 10:30. I grabbed a "top 100 Sullivan Farms" t-shirt. I gave it to Dave Menard who was bummed out that he did not get one. I placed 31st overall which may be my worst placing here. I ran a few ticks faster in the second mile but I had to earn it. Results

The rest of July is busy for races with at least one race per week. The trend has been just that - at least a race per week since the end of May. I like where I am at with the racing and frequency. I am back to the SRR workouts which I really need. Also on the agenda is getting back into some long runs with perhaps an attempt at a fall marathon but it is too early to say.


  1. Thanks Mike! I was still at Salem State and had the track legs and speed :)