Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hibernian 5K St. Patrick's Day Recovery Run


In the lead with Mark Mayall at 400m. Chris Mahoney close in 3rd.
Photo by Joe Armstrong 


Krissy and I signed up for the hometown 5K road race a few weeks back. I finished 3rd last year with a 17:14. I put out an email to the CMS team, invited them down earlier this week for a chance at some prize money. Chris Mahoney took advantage and did not disapoint by winning and setting a course record in 16:12. I lost ground to him and Mark Mayall after mile 1 which felt like they were holding back. I was 5:28 at the mile, two seconds behind them. Chris took off on Mark with a legit surge after 1.3 miles. I had to watch them pull away. I ran 5:29 for the second mile, not only losing ground, but was passed by Erik Hutlquist. He put 11 seconds on me in the last 1.1 miles. I finished 4th overall, 17:02, quicker than last year. I ran back out to the course to find Krissy and pace her into the finish. She ran 36:19 and said that I helped her push her pace over the last 600m of the race. To prove it, she dry-heaved after she finished. Perfect! Dennis Floyd ran his first race in two years for an 11th place finish. It was good to see him in action again. With almost 750 finishers, this is by far the largest race in Lynn. It is good to see it grow over the past four years. Full results.

At the finish line.
Photo by Sandy Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment