Sunday, August 25, 2013

Level Renner 10K

Joe and Jim keeping it Level before mile 1
Photo by KrissyK
Krissy got an invite to attend this 10K from kevbalance (KG) and she transferred it over to me. I was excited to get a chance to run in D.W.Field Park in Brockton. I had no idea what to expect. When Krissy, Joe, and I rolled into the park, it was obvious that this place was a gem. It felt like Break Heart Reservation in Saugus and Wakefield. Kevin welcomed us right away once we saw him. Joe and I connected with CMS mate Scott Deslongchamps for a warm up on the 2nd loop of the course (3.78 miles) as I felt a longer warm up would help me out and we had the time. We got a chance to see what we were up against on the roads that followed two bodies of water. It was a nice course that had at least 75% shade. This race brought in the big guns like Ruben Sanca and Glarius Rop. Joe and I did not discuss our racing plan before the race but before we knew it, we were side by side from the start which went up Tower Hill (3 times by the way). I felt good and Joe and I joked after the race that neither of us took the tangents properly. Loop one was a quickie around the first pond and up Tower Hill again. There was plenty of shade and it was appreciated. Our pacing through three miles was around 5:42 pace and we were off into the bigger of the two loops. We were not chasing anyone down nor was anyone clipping our heels so we kept pressing as much as possible. We took turns in front of the other navigating through our mutual silence. I started to wear a bit at 4.5 miles but we hit a fair stretch of down grade which was just in time for me. We took our last turn at the entrance and went after the last hill at 6 miles. I got a few steps on Joe. He told me to go for it about half way up but I did not see the point in killing it so I backed off for him as I knew he was top master. We rolled into the finish in 35:39. Not too bad for a days work and a busy weekend. I would not trade this for anything.  I love racing and had some great company today. Joe and I hope to be in the 34's at Lone Gull. There was plenty of post race food. I took down some Watermelon before heading out for a cool down with Joe and Scott. We bumped into Ruben who won with a sub 30 (road PR?). He filled us in on his race break down and upcoming racing plans. We got back in time for some refreshments and vendor displays before getting to the awards. I picked up 2nd in my age group. Joe took top master. Scott was 3rd master. We combined for the top team (three score). Good day for CMS as the ladies also picked up the top prize. There were a ton of raffle prizes given out. In summary, this race is only going to get bigger so don't miss out next year.

KrissyK photos

Scott Mason photography

The end
Photo by KrissyK
Level Renner 10K Road Race results August 25, 2013

Level Renner

My splits per course mile markings:
Distance     Time     Avg Pace
6.24          35:38.32  5:43/mi
0.99          5:36.72    5:39/mi
1.00          5:38.85    5:37/mi
1.01          5:51.80    5:52/mi
1.00          5:50.22    5:48/mi
1.00          5:44.45    5:43/mi
1.02          5:38.90    5:34/mi
0.21          1:17.38    6:08/mi

No comments:

Post a Comment