Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Lone Gull 10K

The USATF New England Road Race Grand Prix continued with the 6th of 7 races this year with the 10th Annual Lone Gull 10K in Gloucester. I warmed up with Joe Shairs, Gregory Putnam, Tim Van Orden and Martin Tighe. The conditions were perfect. Soon enough, I got into the starting area, six rows back. A good clean start rolled out. This is one of the best courses I see all year in terms of the scenery with the ocean within view for 75 percent of the course. I settled into the race in the opening mile seeing a 5:43 and moved up a few spots to rock with some Whirlaway guys: Scott Anderson, Mike Cooney, and Charlie Bemis. I heard 11:30 for mile two and was focusing on catching up with Dave Dunham about five seconds up. This led to my fastest mile of the day to mile three (5:36). 

I caught Dave around there but my momentum did not last too long. I felt flat in the stretch up St Louis Ave and Farrington Ave where Dave and I started to get some verbal support from Matt Curran who was on the bike. I bounced back a bit on Atlantic Rd to keep pace and connect again with Dave in the final mile. I pushed up the hill at mile six and came down to the finishing  stretch. I held Dave off but Charlie Bemis zipped by as I got over the finish line with a gun time of 36:07 (chip time of 36:02, 102nd place overall) – a little slower than my 35:45 from last year. 2016 Lone Gull 10K results. The Central Mass Striders masters team placed 2nd to BAA. Next few races coming up: USATF Masters National 5K Championship in Syracuse and BAA Half Marathon.  Mile splits below. 

5:43
5:45
5:36
5:48
5:46
5:53
5:46 for the last .3


No comments:

Post a Comment