Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Ravenswood Trail Race

A couple of new faces at the Ravenswood Trail Race in Gloucester were abound, however, the usual old guys including teammate Todd Callaghan, David Long wearing Team Gloucester, and Chris Smith (SRR) were on the start line. This mid-October 4.1 mile trail race did not disappoint with peak foliage. I settled into 5th after 800m before the descent into the swamp. I felt very unbalanced on the boardwalks. It was scary how much fear and caution I had despite them being dry and clear.

The four out front were gone. Fortunately, I had Chris Smith right behind me pushing and keeping my attention on the up and down trails. Half way through, I surged a few times but Chris was hanging on like glue. It took a longer climb and push through some discomfort to shake him loose and have a quiet presence for the last 1.5 miles. I managed to see David Long once in that last mile that had a long enough stretch. There was no chance to close in. I finished 5th overall, and fourth master with a  time of 29:01. My last race here was in 2014 with a time of 27:53. I ran a cool down with a group before hanging out for the raffles and awards.


No comments:

Post a Comment