Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Lone Gull 10K


I jumped into the Lone Gull 10K in Gloucester as it was a CMSteam race as are all USATF New England Road Race Grand Prix road races. Thiswas GP race 6 out of 7 in the series. I have not done this race since a 36:02showing in 2016. I was on the 45 day DL last year nursing something behind myleft knee.

Krissy and I picked up our race numbers at New EnglandRunning Company the day before. I got a chance to thank and say hello to race organizers/directors,Jane McNally and Len Femino for hosting and organizing a great event. The 10K coursehad a changed this year. A loop from a private neighborhood in the middle ofthe course was removed to appease the Pumpkin Spice Latte neighbor who said “notin my hood!” Town records did not show any opposition in the last five years.

To make up for that removed mile loop, the last mile wouldextend out to Rt 127A (Thatcher Rd) beyond the former finish line (now almostmile 5) on Nautilus Rd. The last turn would include a 90 degree right into the GoodHarbor Beach parking lot driveway. The finish line would be at the opposite endof the lot, close to the registration tent. A warm breakfast would be waiting therefor all finishers later in the morning.

The weather was decent, low 60’s, sunny skies, and anon-impactful breeze. I started next to a group of CMS guys about 10 rows backfrom the new starting line, about 150 yards from the old start. The new startis next to the old finish so we had to climb up and over a hill after theopening 20 seconds.

I trucked through mile one around 6:20 per my Garmin while a6:29 split was heard (the difference in gun time or time to reach the startline). Michael McGrane from the BAA (he ran a xc GP race the day before) wasclose and David Lapierre was 5 seconds ahead. My next two miles would be in thelow sixes. 

I gradually went by a few runners and ran along with BrianCullinan from SRR. We completed some 1K intervals two week ago. I caught up to EJ,John Barbor, and Regina Loiacano around mile three. John said he must be havinga good day if he is anywhere near me. The guy is pure gent, dropping me acompliment while racing.

My 5K split that I heard was in the low 19’s setting me upfor a mid-38 minute 10K. I opened the stride on the downhill stretch to theocean. Michael took off. Mile four passed by in 5:53 and I was starting to targetDavid and Michael.

I caught them after 5 miles giving encouragement to tagalong as I felt decent. I passed a few more folks to the entrance of the GoodHarbor Beach parking lot. I got by one more runner in the long but finalstretch along the parking lot to the finish which provided the quickest mile ofthe day, 5:47. I placed 146th and a chip time of 37:42. I was happywith the compete level over the last four miles.  

Garmin splits (watch was started at the start line, not pergun) below.

Mile       Pace      Elevation
1             6:19        11ft
2              6:06        22ft
3              6:06        12ft
4              5:53        -38ft
5              6:03        6ft
6              5:47        -10

The CMS men did very well with the open team taking 5thwhile the masters and seniors each placed 2nd overall. I gottogether with several CMS guys for a few more miles along the beach houses. Itwas fun to hear the race recaps, battles, and upcoming racing the guys plan ondoing. 

By the time I got back to the post race activities, age group awardswere being announced and given out by Len Femino. There were French Toaststicks, maple syrup, and sausages by the time I got to the empty breakfast lineso that was a bonus. That might have been a first! Lastly, as Krissy and Idrove out, who did I see picking up trash and cones, Len Femino. The man doesit all.






Top photo courtesy and credit to Leslie Whiting Poitras and the bottom photo courtesy and credit to New England Runner Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment