Thursday, June 20, 2019

Boston Scientific Marlborough 5K


It was back to back company races for me with the Boston Scientific Marlborough campus putting on a 5K for the 3rd year in a row to raise funds for the American Hearth Walk. This race was my 4th 5K in a row since getting back to the races. My goal was to be competitive in the 40+ age group (top master ran 19:10 last year). The winning time was 18:10.

Not having run this 5K before, I researched the prior year results, course map, and elevation. The first two miles are fast with elevation drop. The last mile plus is all about getting back up to the campus from the bike trail. 

I did not know anyone at the starting line other than my team of seven from Quincy. I settled into 6th place about 200M after the race got started. Mile one was sure to be quick with the gradual downhill to the Assabet River Bike Trail. My mile one split was 5:45. I tired a bit in the second mile with a 6:15 (30 seconds slower) letting who would be the top master runner get away from me. The last mile was all about climbing with tired legs. I was gassed, only finding energy to keep runners off my heels heading into the finish. My 3rd mile was just over 7:00! Ouch. I finished 13 seconds behind the top master runner. I placed 6th place overall and a time of 19:34. My Quincy team placed first overall with a 2nd, 6th, and 8th place overall finish (top 3 score). Following the race, we were greeted with a BBQ and Ice Cream which hit the spot.

Results




No comments:

Post a Comment