Sunday, August 9, 2015

Bobby Doyle 5 mile USATF New England Championship

Narragansett, RI hosted the fifth race in the New England Road Race Grand Prix. Gregory Putnam picked up Joe Shairs, William Jackson and I. We got to the race quicker than the 2 hour expectation. The weather was great for August with an ocean breeze, cloud cover, and temperatures in the sixties. I handed out the black ribbons in memory of Jennifer Hogan to any Central Mass Strider I saw before, during, and after warming up. We wore them on our singlets that she procured for us as the club merchandise coordinator. She was taken far too early and her glowing smile will be missed. Rest in peace Jen.

Scott Mason described the course to me before the race while looking at the map. I saw the middle miles of the course warming up. I got in the start line, row 5, and took off with the race after a few quick words. The race went out quick, no surprise. It was nice to see CMS masters Arthur Besse and Nick Taormina in front of me early on. William Jackson was cruising along too. I got a yell from a welcomed face, Martin Tighe and Marisol Rodriguez after mile 1 which passed in 5:25. William passed by soon after and I had three CMS runners pulling me through mile 2. In the stretch down toward the water, I pressed past Arthur and William. With the wind at my back along the water I slowly passed Nick before the 5K providing reinforcement of a solid race so far, to keep it going. I began the climb to mile four trying to close the gap with Stephanie Reilly. It was a gradual and I was slowly passing a few runners which was a good sign. With a mile to go, I passed Stephanie. I saw Heidi Besse cheering us on and yelling for Arthur. I was all out and think I only gave up a place in the last 400m. My time was 28:27 and 109th. Arthur, William, Dan Verrington, and Nick were all right behind me. I ran about what I was expecting, hoping a for a low 28 but that is where I am.

I grabbed a banana and piece of watermelon, catching up with the CMS guys beyond the finish line. Everyone seemed to be happy with the efforts. The CMS open team finished 4th overall, the masters took 1st, and the surging Seniors took 2nd. We hung out for the awards and headed out stopping at the Shanty in Warwick for a surprisingly awesome breakfast.

5:25
5:40
5:28
5:48
5:45


Gregory and Joe showing off breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment