Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Swampscott Dory Run 5K

Heading into mile two with a 2 second lead
Photo by KrissyK
Nakri and I headed over to the Dory Run 5K in Swampscott. This has been a Memorial Day fixture on the North Shore for years. The temperatures were much cooler than Saturday. A light rain was coming down but seemed to be a non issue for the race as it lightened up. I got on the start after a 2 mile warm up, getting instruction from Dan Vassallo to beat the guy in the red hat. th place 400m into the race up to 3rd after the mile where the hills start. Krissy was road side taking photos at 1.8 miles where I just passed the red hat. Mile 2 split was coming from Race Director Gary Freedman, in 11:20. I held on to the 2nd place with a lap around the track into the finish.  I was first place for 40+ and the time was 17:50 (5:45/ mile pace). I turned around to the red hat who ran 18:08 and introduced myself. He was 8th grader, Sean Kay who is already off to a good start for racing. Kat, Dan, Nakri (5th in 18:41 and a PR) and I ran the course for a cool down. We hung out for the awards where I had a nice talk with WF Newhall from Marblehead. The former winner thanked me for the support of the race. Below are a few pictures of the Dory Run Cup and historical male and female winners. Who do you recognize?
The red hat was ahead of me from the gun. I moved up from 6

James "Jim" Green (3rd place Boston Marathon 1960), WF Newhall, and 2016 Dory Run 5K race winner Dan Vassallo









No comments:

Post a Comment