Tuesday, February 2, 2016

USATF East Region & New England Masters Meet

I met up with Dave Dunham, Dan Verrington, and Joe O’Leary in Woburn at 7:30 for the drive down to Providence, RI for the USATF East Region & New England Masters Meet. The meet and facility were new to me so I was soaking it all in. I watched the men and ladies run the 5000m, cheering them on. BAA’s Chris Magill was pacing t’mate Doug McLucas and they went 1-2 looking comfortable in the 16:30's. Dave and Joe battled in the closing laps. Joe finished 2nd in his age group while Dan and Dave went 1-2. I ran 10:11.51 in the 3000m. The laps went by pretty fast and the race was down to the final lap before I knew it. I recall my mile split was 5:23. Dave cheered me on which helped, egging me to catch Dan for which I closed within three seconds at the end. I was looking for a 9:50 but was not too down with running 20 seconds slower as that was just the fun attitude for the day. CMS ladies Alicia Eno and Leslie O'Dell bettered their previous 3K times on this, a flat track. I had a wonderful day warming up outside with Brian Cullinan (won his age group in the 3K) from SRR and cooling down with Dan Verrington in downtown Providence. We got back in to watch a furious men’s mile, where Chris Magill made up a 100m gap in the last three laps to take the win. Meanwhile, Jesse Morrow (SRR) ran on to a 5:18 – adult mile PR which capped off a perfect day. There was talk about putting together 4 X 800m with the SRR guys but we nixed it and my legs are glad. I was impressed with the meet, organization, and the whole vibe. Everyone was so nice and chill. Thus, I would highly recommend that you come to the meet next year if you are a master (over 30 in track). You will not regret it. Full Meet Results

No comments:

Post a Comment