Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Ribfest 5 mile


Lined up for the start line, about 8 rows back for the Ribfest 5 mile road race, another New England Championship event on Fathers Day in Merrimack, NH. My goal was to run sub 6:00 miles. First mile was exactly that and 2nd mile just under. All was good and had Dave Dunham rolling along. The 3rd mile, only one with shade, had the pace slow to 6:08 and I knew it. Dave motored onward. The course climbs very subtly up after 5K and I was just wiped out. 

Within mile 1 with Chris Smith in the white hat and Dave Dunham next to Heather Mahoney
Photo by Kim Gordon
I ran by Krissy as she was still heading out. Mile 3 to 4 gave me a 6:31 mile and I was not surprised. I knew it was poor. With the downhill finish, I managed to get back on track and salvage some pride with a 6:03 mile for the last one. Coach, Joe OLeary was the beacon but stayed 10 seconds ahead of me at the finish line. 118th place, 23rd in the 40-49 age group, 30:42.7 chip time.

118  James Pawlicki   43  Central Mass Striders   18:45.3 (5K split) 30:47 (gun)  30:42.7 (chip)

I regrouped with the CMS guys, hearing how races developed. The open team finished 3rd overall, masters and seniors took team wins. I grabbed my bag, found my dad and watched Krissy finish before taking off for a car show in Brookline, MA..





No comments:

Post a Comment