Sunday, November 13, 2022

BIGGSteps 5K USATF New England 5K Championship Grand Prix Needham, MA

New 5K within the USATF Grand Prix Series here in Needham. I warmed up on the course with Terry McNatt and CMS teammate Sam Wood. It was flatter than what the course profile looked like with a dip down to 2 miles and a climb out of that. There was a light drizzle for the 10:30 start time. I settled in 10 rows deep next to Shawn Conway. I eased out, took me 8 seconds to cross the timing mat and made sure I did not trip or fall on another competitor. 

The first mile was flat, taken out around 6:30 next to Matt Adams from Beverly (Wicked). I had time to give a fist bump to Dirk Walther from SRR who was watching on the side of the road. He just missed his marathon PR at age 40 in Chicago by less than 5 seconds last month. The 2nd mile dipped down a bit showing another mid-6 paced mile split. The only climb I recall was after mile two and then it flattened out. Paul Hammond was heard coming on me so I pushed in the last quarter mile to get some room from him and Matt. Last climb came after 3 miles up to the finish in front of the Needham High School where I rolled into a chip time of 21:01, 6:45 mile pace! Paul and Matt finished ahead in the results. Results

Garmin Splits: 626, 638, 701, 623 (.15)






No comments:

Post a Comment