Saturday, November 27, 2021

ECTA Thanks for the Trails 5K

Tough week had me hobbled with a calf issue since Monday's attempted tempo run. I passed on running the WCRC Turkey Trot in Newbury on Thanksgiving Day. This race, the next day on Friday, would at least allow me to get a run in. I adjusted all expectations to just finish and enjoy the show. Rain was approaching and started 20 minutes before the 10am start in Patton Park, Hamilton.

Coming down the hill. Photo by Roger Perham


I ran a warm-up in the park, running through an area selling Christmas Trees. They were freshly cut, offering a long lasting pine scent. I started off the race in the 2nd row next to neighbor and trail wiz, Freddie Tribeck. She would navigate us through a half mile before I went ahead. My calf was annoyed and each stride reminded me. Oh, new course by the way, now mile 1 stays in the trails, no more Rt 1A road/sidewalk. 

With Roger Perham and Paul Croft


Up and down the hill. I got passed by five runners on the way up. On the 2nd loop, up another hill, shorter and steeper, I passed them all back but one. I walked the 15 yards before cresting through the top of the hill. Two more runners were picked off on the way to the finish. 

George S. Patton Park and a tank of a landmark


Roger Perham caught photos on the bottom of the hill. Matt Curran, cheered me onward with 400m to go. Miss those days we battled. He is tied up with a bad knee unfortunately. 



26th place awaited me. 7th 40-49. GPS measured out 3.25, so race pace was sub 8's instead of the 8:16 paced 25:39 race time for a 5K distance. Overall, I lived, did not drop out, no drama, just slower. Runners are stubborn creatures. I need to be smart, get healthy. Hard to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment