Thursday, July 15, 2010

Jim Kane Sugar Bowl 5 Miler

The 23rd annual Jim Kane Sugar Bowl 5 miler is hosted by the L Street Running Club. I began running this race due to the proximity near my work (2 miles away by ocean, 3 by car) a few years ago. The race moved from the Bay Side Expo to Boston College High School this year without issue. There was plenty of parking and the race expo with several shoe, sports, medical, and food vendors continued. My first mile was 5:20 and very comfortable in a lead pack of seven guys including Beverly neighbor, John Ayers. A tall lanky fellow was cheering the race on as we approached him, holding to ice cold bottles of water. He looked familiar but was not sure. It was Peter Brook (Sommerville Road Runners) who I have not seen in years (running or spectating). I tossed him a “nice to see you Peter, where the $#@!* have you been hiding?” I have not seen him in years. He was always a friendly face when I was kicking around at races a long time ago. I guess it was nice of me to break out conversation with Peter as if I owned the race during the 5:20 pace. It must have pissed off my competitors. The pace got spicy shortly there after when Andreas Heilmann picked it up and the pack went immediately into a single file.

We did a 180 and headed back to the school (start/finish area) shortly after the 2nd mile marker on Day Blvd. I fell one spot into fourth place by a few strides and passed mile three just under 16:00. This stretch was hot and the sun was in our eyes going toward Carson Beach before breaking left for some shade along the Dorchester Harbor Walk. I was right behind 3rd place heading past the 4 mile clock, 21:55, and already thinking about “what if this comes down to a kick or am I going to suck this up and take this guy down now.” Such a thought process is hilarious but I am sure we’ve all been there. To have some fire in the belly as the races closes into the last mile is good. It was as if I was running for a 3rd place pay off or something. I was pleased that the overall pace was still under 5:30 pace but we both were slowing as I took an inventory - soaking all of this in. There was less than 400m left and I knew exactly where the finish line was – it was hiding about 50 yards from the corner of the school and driveway we just entered. I dropped in a surge to pass him and wound up 3rd with a 27:30 in the last 60 yards.

I turned in the finish line shute to thank him for staying tough and having a great race. He complained of tightening up with cramps at the end. It happens. I was happy to be back in the 27’s for a 5 miler. I felt like I accomplished a lot with the effort and having a race within the race toward the end. Kristen and I are off for the Stowe 8 miler. It should be a hot one.
23rd Annual Sugar Bowl 5 Miler
Boston, MA, July 15, 2010
PLC Time Pace PLC/Group Name Town, State
1 26:40 5:20 1 25-29 Andreas Heilmann Boston,MA
2 27:05 5:25 1 20-24 Luke Dodge Brookline,MA
3 27:30 5:30 1 35-39 James Pawlicki Beverly,MA
4 27:32 5:30 1 16-19 Brendan Adams
5 27:49 5:34 2 25-29 Mike Brown Dowling Boston,MA
6 28:04 5:37 1 40-44 John Ayers Beverly,MA

Photo credits to Ted Tyler. You can see the rest of his photos here.

Complete results

No comments:

Post a Comment