Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Beverly Homecoming 5K

Signed up for this Thursday night classic in my old haunt of Beverly. Start and finish at Lynch Park. A few rollers in mile 2 cramp the effort but overall fast with a drop into the park with the ocean in the background for the finish line. After a mile and a half warm up, tossed the Notch singlet and fast shoes on. My dad dropped by to watch me race. First time in a few years that he has been in attendance. 

Before the start, I discussed the race approach with Ian Edwards and Matt Adams. I said sub 6:30 and hang on. They agreed. Well, I felt good in the first mile and after running by Krissy, knew it was fast as in 6:25. It felt just right but pulled up a touch just a tad on a climb past Sandy Milligan Park. I was ahead of Matt but not by much and Ian passed by with Alen Yen. I ran 6:58 for the 2nd mile with the hills with Matt passing me on the longer hill. I had a calf cramp before that hill and then the rain began at mile 2. It felt pretty good. I got around Ian with half a mile to go but Matt kept 8 seconds away from there to the finish line. 6:40 or so last mile. 44th place, 20:46 (6:40 pace). Ian was 20:53 and Matt was 20:38. Thinking we should put a Lynn Woods Relay Team together.

I ran another 1.5 mile cool down over to Dane Street Beach and back to Lynch Park. By this time, the rain stopped and skies broke with a nice orange and pink sun set. 

2021 Beverly Yankee Homecoming 5K race results


A step ahead of Ian before 1 mile

Rains abound entering Lynch Park




No comments:

Post a Comment