Saturday, April 23, 2022

WCRC 39th Annual April Fools 4 Mile Road Race

 This is an old-time classic, flat and fast out and back accurate four mile road race put on by Winner’s Circle Running Club in Salisbury. This was my second road race of the now into 4th month of 2022. It was sunny and had some wind. A few CMS runners were there such a Paul Young, Dave Dunham and newly signed up, Mike Dunlop who I raced against in college. I have been discussing CMS with him for years. Ran a warm up with them and friend Shawn Conway on a rail trail. A half hour later, I was off for the four mile race. I recall an opening mile around 6:40 and felt I would not see anything fast than that.

At the turn around spot, could see my teammates flying by with all looking good led by Dave, then Shawn, then Mike. They would continue that order to be the top 50 year olds. Mile three was my slowest dipping into the low sevens and some head wind. A women from Greater Lowell went by me with three quarters of a mile to go and I said “game on!”

This decision to get my head and body back into the race. I fought past her a few yards later and held the spot in the last half mile of the race. Fist bumps followed with the recognition to her for the presence as we in the end helped each other. 27th place, 6th in the age group. 27:22 for the flat four! I headed out for a cool down with the gents on the rail trail again for some easy miles.

April Fools Four Miler - Salisbury 2022





No comments:

Post a Comment