Friday, September 30, 2022

Lone Gull 10K USATF New England Grand Prix 10k Championship

September 25, 2022 – It was a perfect weather day for this coastal 10K road race in Gloucester with sun and low 60’s. This race has hosted the New England 10K Championship for at least the last decade. I have not raced it since 2018. The start and finish are at Good Harbor Beach, separated by a quarter of a mile. I started next to Thom McMahon and Mark Reeder. It took us 12 seconds to get over the start line as we about a dozen rows deep. 

Around 4.5 miles

I got in behind John Barbour up and over the first hill. The crowd was thick as we stayed on the far right allowing oncoming car traffic going South. John led Gary Daniels (CMS’r in the past) and I through a mile in 6:44. 2nd mile was covered in 6:47 and had a CMS teammate a few seconds away in Gwen Ridgway. She would be a beacon for the rest of the course that I could not catch. 

Next to Mark Reeder beyond 4 miles
Photo by Rodney Hemmingway

The next mile had a climb to the high point of 59ft above sea level, offering my slowest mile in 7:02. Mark Redder rolled up on me before 4 miles which passed in 6:51. My legs were wired but managed to keep the pace with Mark. A 6:57 mile at 5 miles had Deb Downs from SRR pushing any comfort away. I was ready for one last push once I reached the beach parking lot and managed to pass Mark but not Deb. The last mile split was 6:51. I finished with a chip time of 42:52 (6:54/mi), gun time 43:04.

With Deb Downs and Mark Reeder

Into the finish line

Photo credits to Shannon Cram, Rodney Hemingway and Granite State Race Services.

Lone Gull 10K USATF New England Grand Prix 10k Championship Race Results 2022

A look back at the recent past, Lone Gull 10K times since 2015 (hand time).

2018       37:44

2016       36:06

2015       35:49

No comments:

Post a Comment