Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Wachusett Mountain Road Race - 3 miles

 Ah, the Saturday before Memorial Day. Sunny and moist in Princeton, MA. Good temps, enough to sweat on a short warm up. I had the CMS singlet on for this being a CMS hosted race. Today's challenge was to get to the top, about 2,000 feet on the elevation scale. I was one of about a quarter of the race who chose to race up only, not up and then down. These leg's are not was they used to be. The field was one of the biggest per Kim Gordon, race director. Steve Laska got the race and heart rates going at 9:30. I found "sustain" gear right away. No choice really. 9:14 passed at the 1 mile. Krissy got video beyond that mile on a rare flat spot. I come into view around 3:18. 




Mile two slowed down to a 9:34. At this point some were doing the run, walk and recovery method. I kept my head down and kept moving forward. I tried to push in the last mile to close a gap between teammate, Paul Bazanchuk and I but he held me off. Another teammate pulled beside me, David Lapierre with 200M to go! I was wasted but held Dave off, barely at our finish. 28:15 was the time. Place is unknown but was 69th to go through that check point (all runners got clocked at the top). I collected Dave and Paul to jog down. Dave wanted to take another route than the course and Paul got back into the race and sprinted after an age-grouper. I managed to hold 8 minute miles down. Overall, good day, over 7 miles covered. 3 Mile Results 10K results



No comments:

Post a Comment