Monday, October 24, 2022

Brown Bear Invitational XC

October 1, 2022 - This was race #2 in the New England XC Grand Prix Cross Country series which has five races total. I was not thrilled with the 1pm start for the men’s combined 8K (all ages), I was looking forward to running a race at Highland Park in Attleboro which was purchased by the town and converted much of the former golf course into a cross country course for the local schools and community. The CMS limo arrived with Dunham behind the wheel and Verrington riding shot gun. Parking was tight as we were the last race of the day while the women were just getting started. 

The morning rain let up on our noon time arrival. After a warm up and picking up my bib number, team CMS got on the line that included five seniors and me the lone master. There were a few open clubs but mostly the collegiate running clubs. The course was four continuous loops that went through the start line area thus was very spectator friendly. It was surprisingly mud free and not saturated so footing was decent under my Adidas spikes. On the opening loop, I moved past teammate, Brent Ashmore, getting into the 5th place for the team.

Back and forth with Mark Reeder on the rolling terrain

Trailing Mark on the steepest and shortest hill that we saw three times

I had a little back and forth with a few but could feel a fade half way through the race. As the laps passed by, the race would thin out. Mark Reeder would move on by around 3 miles and I kept him close enough over the next 3K to reel him in on the final straight away. I ran 35:57.9 good for 180th place out of 215 overall. I could see such a course lay host to a National USATF Cross Country race in the future if parking could accommodate. 

Brown Bear Invitational Men’s XC 2022 results

 

No comments:

Post a Comment