Monday, September 13, 2021

GBTC XC Invite 5K

Finally got a CMS team race under the belt nine months into the calendar year with some cross country racing at the Great Brook State Park trails in Carlisle, MA. The course is a fair mix of grass, single track, corn field scenery along with back woods hills to break any momentum. This was race numero uno in the USATF XC Grand Prix.

The masters race was small (32 runners) but competitive. It was nice to see the fellow teams like HFC, Greater Lowell Road Runners and GBTC. I have not seen the new course which changed a few years ago. I ran the course during the warm up with the CMS guys. It was awesome to see guys I have not seen since last year: Tim Van Orden, Steve Brightman and Arthur Besse. 

I put on my New Balance waffle racers and got on a wide start line with the team. I was giddy to be back racing with other master runners (age 40 and older). Loop 1 paraded around the corn field and out into a bigger loop for the 2nd loop. I got through the mile behind Chris Kelly and Jimmy Fallon from HFC around 6:30 in. Former Salem State Viking and teammate, Brian Beaulieu running with GBTC was right behind me. So good, again, to be rubbing elbows. Photo of Brian and heading to loop two. Photo by our then SSC coach, Tom Derderian - now coach of GBTC.




The last loop, the largest of three on the day, was the toughest with rolling hills that were short and steep (for my legs). Those slowed me down a lot. I managed to rally over the last 500m around the corn field to just outstretch the guys mentioned above into the finish line. I placed 20th overall with a time of 20:14. 7th CMS runner. Had a blast. It meant a lot to be back for a cross country race with some peers. It is my favorite season and racing discipline. I hope to run a few more races in the XC Grand Prix.


I ran a nice slow cool down with the CMS gang: Steve Brightman, Dan Verrington, TiVo, new to CMS but not the group - Doug Deangelis and Dave Dunham - both mates I have been racing with in the CARS (Concord Area Race Series) this Spring and Summer. I have my last series race this Saturday in Concord NH, SEA 5K, which is supposed to be a fast one. Can I break 20:30? 



Dave Dunham's locker room, er, Honda Civic with over 250K miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment