Tuesday, September 7, 2021

NHTI Delta Dental 5K

The second to last C.A.R.S. race was back in Concord, at NHTI for a fast 5K. I was worried about the traffic on 93 North on a Friday evening so Krissy took the wheel and got us up there very early around 3:45 for the 6pm start. Perry Seagroves, head xc coach at NHTI, let me hunker down in the athletic building to wrap up some work stuff. Once wrapped up, I found Dave Dunham wandering the halls scaring coeds. I convinced him to find a shirt and do a course warm up with Darin Brown. It was going to be a fast course over two flat loops. 

Mother nature added a challenge of the heat and humidity. There were three heats going off at 6pm and I got into the back of heat one running with John Tuttle in the first mile. We traded back and forth before I tailed off about 1.5 miles in. We talked before the race and both agreed to help each other. I faded a bit more in the last mile only finding energy to convince Heather Searles (21:02) to jump back into the race and help me out. John finished with a 20:51 to my 21:11. I placed 24th overall and first in the 40-49 age group. I was still sweating while getting back into my street clothes heading off for another hour or two of work. 

Splits: 6:31, 6:50, 6:54 (6:13) with an average heart rate of 176bpm





No comments:

Post a Comment